Looking for a little more help in planning your international travels?
The world of travel is ever changing! There is so much to know – so we fellow travelers are always sharing and learning from each other. The following is a list of travel blogs (and their writers) that I particularly like – many of them aimed at baby boomers and women travelers, as well as adventure travel. May you continue to travel the world more widely, confidently and joyfully!
Travel Blogs I Like
- The Planet D – Dave and Deb are a Canadian couple who truly live by the motto “Adventure is for Everyone.” They have traveled to over 100 countries and their award-winning website is filled with good stories, great photos and excellent resources. Plus, they’re really fun!
- Women on the Road – Leyla Giray Alyanak’s mission is to help women travel smart, safe and solo. She has a wealth of great resources for solo women travelers and general travel tips on her website. Born in Paris, she has been a foreign correspondent and now works for a U.N. development agency in Geneva. She brings a strong global social consciousness to her writing.
- Legal Nomads – Jodi Ettenberg, a former attorney, is now a full-time traveler. Her award-winning blog is the “vaguely chronological account of living and eating her way around the world.” Jodi has a passion for food and is an excellent, soulful storyteller.
- A Dangerous Business – Amanda calls herself “a small-town Ohio girl on a mission to see the world.” She is not a full-time traveler (aka “digital nomad”). Amanda is around 30 (young to us baby boomers!) She is a wonderful writer and storyteller. Her website is filled with excellent blog posts and resources. She is very well-respected in the travel blogging world.
- Ottsworld – Sherry Ott is a “corporate cube dweller” turned nomadic traveler. She travels to off-the-beaten-path destinations and shares about her life experiences as a solo female wanderer. She is in her mid-40s and has been traveling since 2006! She is also an excellent photographer.
- My Itchy Travel Feet – Married couple Donna Hull (the writer) & Alan Hull (the photographer) are baby boomers from Montana. Their website’s tag line is “The Baby Boomer’s Guide to Travel.” Their blog covers both their international and domestic travel adventures and has many good resources for boomers.
- Hole in the Donut Cultural Travel – Barbara Weibel gave up an unsatisfying career in 2007 (in mid-life) to fulfill her passion of writing, photography and travel. She now travels perpetually, staying long-term in most countries in order to immerse in the local culture. Her tag line is “Connecting the World Through Storytelling.
- Retire Early and Travel – Tina & Keith Paul write a blog about living an international lifestyle. They retired early from their professional careers in Southern California and moved to Cuenca, Ecuador in early 2016. Now they live an ex-pat lifestyle filled with lots of travel. They are a lovely couple whom I recently met at a blogger conference. Plus, the story of their big move was featured on the “House Hunters International” TV program.
- Wanderlust & Lipstick – Beth Whitman, founder of Wanderlust & Lipstick, is a women’s travel expert with around 30 years of travel experience. In addition to writing books and publishing the website (her writing plus guest bloggers), she leads small group adventures through her WandersTours. The website has lots of good resources.
- More Time To Travel – Irene Levine became a full-time travel writer after a successful career as a psychologist. Her husband Jerry is her travel companion and the photographer. Their website/blog’s tagline is “Advice on Travel After 50” and includes a variety of articles on both domestic and international destinations.
- Y Travel Blog – Caz and Craig Makepeace are a delightful Australian couple with two young daughters. They’re serial travel addicts, having lived in 5 countries and traveled through 52 countries. They are currently living in the U.S. & loving it! Their tag line is “Travel More. Create Better Memories.” They’re all about inspiring and helping people to travel more – and not just families with children. Their website also has great travel resources.
Books with Helpful Travel Advice *
- Women on the Road: the essential guide for baby boomer travel– by Leyla Giray
- 1,000 Places to See Before You Die – by Patricia Schultz
- Rick Steves’ Europe Through the Back Door 2016: The Travel Skills Handbook – by Rick Steves
- It Ain’t Heavy, It’s My Luggage: Tips for Older Women Traveling Abroad – by Kay Harwell Fernandez
- The SOLO Traveler’s Handbook – by Janice Leith Waugh
- Wanderlust and Lipstick: The Essential Guide for Women Traveling Solo – by Beth Whitman
- Plan Your Escape: Secrets of Traveling the World For Less than the Cost of Living at Home – by Wayne Dunlap (he travels with his wife Pat)
Some Additional Fun Travel Tips/Resources
- Bucket List Journey – Annette is a adventurous young woman with a website/blog where she has compiled her own personal bucket list with over 850 items. She has already checked many of them off! Check it out – you might just get some good ideas for your own Travel Dream List. Plus, she has written a helpful article to help you with creating your own list – The Ultimate Bucket List Resource Guide.
* Some of the links on this page are affiliate links – like with Amazon. If you click on an affiliate link and make a purchase, this website may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. The commissions paid by affiliates help to pay for the costs of running Planet Janet Travels.